Manager, Strategic Implementation
Camp Fire's Promise: Young people want to shape the world. Camp Fire provides the opportunity to find their spark, lift their voice, and discover who they are. In Camp Fire, it begins now. Light the fire within.
Camp Fire National Headquarters seeks a temporary Manager, Strategic Implementation to oversee and assist with design and execution of key front-end elements of our new Five Year Business Plan, with investment from the S. D, Bechtel, Jr. Foundation. The Plan is based upon a rigorous 15 month external and internal assessment conducted by La Piana Consulting. Implementation objectives support increased brand awareness, strengthened affiliate and system wide performance, build out of a national fund development plan and staff team, and strengthening the national board of trustees. The contract period is anticipated as 18 months.
- Serve as a thought partner to President and CEO and Chief Operating Officer in oversight and execution of the Five Year Business Plan; inclusive of opportunities to stream line implementation of new strategies and initiatives.
- Develop and oversee plan for FY 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 key deliverables. Partner with Grants Administrator to ensure initiatives are on track, on time and within budget; assist as needed with reporting requirements to S. D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation.
- Serve as liaison to Aspen Leadership Group in executive search for Chief Development Officer (CDO). Assist with search process inclusive of potential screening and interaction with final candidate pool. Assist and support CDO in recruitment and selection of additional Development staff.
- Assist in design of and follow up to Collaborative Philanthropy Meeting, Spring 2018.
- Serve as liaison to Human Capital Innovation in design and implementation of council CEO Coaching Program; provide ongoing reports, updates and recommendations to Headquarters Leadership Team; engage with participating CEOs as needed.
- Collaborate with Director, Marketing & Communications to assist councils in launching multi-year marketing plans; provide consultation to councils as needed.
- Provide direction to and oversight of data collection; initiate research and analysis, as needed; inclusive of reports generation and presentation to national board, Headquarters staff and /or council leadership.
- Identify opportunities to augment training content via Camp Fire’s online learning management system (Camp Fire Learning Lab); assist in curation of content for use by national and council staff/board members with emphasis on brand/marketing, business development, fund raising, and volunteer governance.
- Identify additional initiatives or projects, over time, where personal leadership, oversight and/or assistance can be best rendered.
Bachelor’s degree, at a minimum, in business, education or other relevant field; or at least ten years related experience in a de-centralized national nonprofit environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Essential Areas of Expertise
Strategy execution at regional and national levels; experience within a matrixed, de-centralized affiliate system; senior level leadership, inclusive of routine interaction with volunteer governance boards; demonstrated commitment to continuous learning; presenter to small and large audiences; engagement with external consultants.
Planning and organizing; written business communications and reports; ability to lead and work within teams to support a motivating work environment; high degree of personal accountability for quality performance; ability to identify and implement creative, innovative solutions; manage multiple priorities simultaneously; ability to conduct, organize and utilize original and third party research. Ability to utilize project management software.
Will engage HQ staff support for specific project elements; engage national trustees, Headquarters staff, external consultants, and council leadership for input and feedback as needed; performing consistent with Camp Fire’s vision, strategy, and values.
Office Location, Work Schedule and Travel
May elect to operate from home office with in person attendance at key meetings; regularly scheduled meetings with CEO and other key staff. Or will be assigned workspace at National Headquarters.
The nature of the work will require 40 – 45 hours weekly. The Manager will work closely with Kansas City and out based staff and volunteers who are primarily available during normal business hours, Monday - Friday. The maximum contractor fee paid for this contract will be $70,000 per year.
Travel primarily within the Kansas City area; limited travel within the U.S.